Saturday, March 13, 2010

Mysterious Sounds

Like I mentioned, we finally got our big snow fall in Whistler!  Probably only about 20cm, It snowed big fluffy flakes all day and into the night. When I woke up the next morning, I was lying in bed half asleep when I heard a dull thunder from, seemingly, the ground.

Snowplows, I figured.

Then, a couple of minutes later, it happened again. This time the roof rattled a bit.  And again. And again.

I was starting to sweat, thinking of outrageous senarios in my half-dreaming head. So I decided to wake up, get some breakfast, and hope the rumbling BOOM would stop soon.

Finally, my host for the games woke up and came out to get breakfast. I quickly told him what I had heard, and asked him if that was the sound of snow plows going crazy.

He told me that it is the sound of the Whistler-Blackcomb team doing controlled explosions to help clear out potential avalanches. Awesomeee.  After snowfall, there is a team that will either plant explosives, or will actually chuck them at the mountain in places that are hard to access by foot. I feel like this job is every 9 year old boys dream!

And mine. How cool would it be to blow up a mountain?!

No comments:

Post a Comment